When you’re feeling stressed out, isn’t it just the hardest funk to get out of?! Try not to think about feeling stressed and what pops up…that stressful thought. Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP) teaches us that when we try to not focus on something, our brains can’t help but to focus on that very thing.
For instance, try to not focus on the image or thought of a pink elephant… Odds are, that pink elephant popped up. NLP is largely about using your brain/ your thoughts in more effective ways.
So how can you make your mind work for you instead of against you when you’re feeling stressed out?
I created 30 questions to ask yourself when you notice that you’re feeling overwhelmed and down. The purpose of these questions are to shift your focus to thoughts that lead to solutions and positive self reflection.
- Choose the questions that apply to your situation the best.
- Treat these as more than yes or no questions.
- Write out your answers or simply give yourself time to find an answer within you.
- Follow through with answers that lead to you feeling more at ease in your life.
- Is this a physical problem? If so, what actions can I take to feel better?
- Can I kindly say ‘no’ in this situation’?
- Will pampering myself with a bath, facial or massage help?
- Do I have to do it all now or can I take small simple steps?
- Am I forcing myself to relieve bad memories?
- Is this a serious as life or death situation?
- Can I keep trying in better ways until I feel content?
- How would it feel if I approved of myself + my life?
- How would I feel if I decided to use my energy to focus on positive things in my life?
- Can I give myself a break for the day, a few minutes, an hour?
- How can I see this situation in a more positive uplifting way?
- Can I remove something gin my life weighing me down in a safe loving way?
- How would it feel to have faith in life and trust that God is taking care of me?
- How many ways can I show myself love today?
- What can I do to prevent the worst from happening?
- Have I asked for help with this yet?
- Is it possible that I can start over?
- Have I eaten today + eaten well?
- Can I give myself permission o push forward despite my setbacks?
- Is this my responsibility/mine alone?
- Am I doing all that I can do + appreciating my limits?
- Am I focusing more on the future and past rather than the present?
- Instead of feeling hopeless, is it possible that I’m simply not there yet?
- Is there a lesson here that I can grow form?
- What kind of fun + relaxation can I get into to give my mind a break?
- Have I really been taking care of my body + give my mind a break?
- Will having more patience help?
- Is this issue definitely permanent?
- What can I do to meet my needs?
- Where can I find support?
Grab a pen + paper, or even your journal + start jotting thoughts down when reading through these questions 🙂
I hope the above has helped you.
Wherever you are in the world, have a lovely day ❤