Isn’t it ironic how finding the answer to happiness is sometimes just so serious?
We try by listening to scientific studies or following positive mantras, but sometimes it’s the things you never thought of that can lead to a sunny disposition.
Ahead, check out 36 of those unexpected things that will make you smile.
- Buy a Hula-Hoop and go crazy with it.
- Eat the last piece of cake.
- Make an easy checklist so you can cross everything off.
- Wear your favourite clothes to run an errand.
- Wake up an hour earlier than usual.
- Wash all your dishes while listening to a podcast.
- Text solely in emoji with your best friend.
- Peel an orange in one peel.
- Roll down a hill, and then get out the grass stain.
- Face a fear, big or small.
- Play a card game at work.
- Practice good posture.
- Give away old clothes and furniture for free.
- Dance or sing in public.
- Forgive someone who’s hurt you.
- Give yourself a pep talk in the mirror.
- Hug someone you love.
- Sit in silence for five minutes.
- Take a power nap.
- Draw on a steamy mirror with your finger.
- Unfollow someone negative on social media.
- Plan a trip (but don’t take it) just for the sense of anticipation.
- Realise how good it feels to stretch.
- Text your friends and ask them to tell you a funny joke.
- Eat a meal with your hands.
- Put your phone away for an hour.
- Rearrange your furniture.
- Watch home movies from your childhood.
- Fake a smile to boost your mood.
- Buy a box of cinnamon sticks just to smell them.
- Mismatch your socks on purpose.
- Snuggle with an animal.
- Watch a sad movie to feel better about yourself.
- Write in cursive like you’re in second grade again.
- Learn the meaning of a new word.
- Take a day off just to have a movie marathon.
Below are some do’s & don’t’s when it comes to getting the most out of your time effectively 🙂
I hope the below helps you – let me know what you do to de-stress & relax 🙂
- Energise by sitting in the shower for a few mins
- Reduce your stress hormones ahead of work by smelling coffee
- Enjoy a home made bevergae (coffee,tea or hot chocolate) after your breakfast – this will perk you up & save money at the pricey coffee shops)
- Hit the snooze button on your alarm
- Force your sleepy self to make decisions – sort out everything the night before
- Wake up in the dark, leave your curtains half open
- Leave the house without drinking something (whether that’s be a coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water or even juice)
On Your Lunch Break
- Get into the sun to uplift your spirits
- Spend a few mins looking out the window
- reduce stress by de-cluttering your desk
- Drip cold water onto your wrists to help cool + calm you
- Drink some herbal tea, chamomile aids relaxation
- Pay to entertain yourself – many towns + cities have free lunch time performances
- Buy your lunch, bring it from home
- Waste your time, do something productive on your break
- Stay still – go for a walk instead
- Eat fast food – the high fat + salt content can affect stress levels
- Do the same thing – every lunch break, find new places to eat or walk.
- Clear your mind with 5 mins of alone time
- Listen to classical music before bed
- Take your mind off your work by doing some colouring in
- Telephone someone close to you
- have a bite of chocolate – proven to de-stress
- Pamper yourself
- Waste your commute home, clear your mind with a book or even get off the train/bus a stop early + walk.
- Be drawn to continue dealing with work issues after the working day is done
- Leave the office without typing up loose ends
- Forget to eat a proper dinner, even basics in your cupboard can be used to make something nutritious and soul-warming
- End the day on a negative note, try to do or think of something positive.
- Meditate twice a day, even if only for a few minutes
- breathing exercises – use your fingers to cover your nostrils and breathe in through on and out through the other.
- Something that will make you laugh
- Leave your work at the office
- Get out of the house, take a walk, get outdoors.
- Spend your weekend on your phone or computer
- Overeat – you will regret this when Monday rolls around
- Succumb to the pre-work ‘Sunday blues’
- Sleep in too late
- Do too much house work
- Imagine our holiday first, enjoy the planning
- Keep up with daily routines
- Ditch the electronics
- Nothing – just being away from the normal environment can be enough to help you relax
- Enjoy the odd siestas
- Plan too much, leave some time to do nothing, relaxing + soaking in the atmosphere
- Plan anything your first day, take it as it comes.
- Be too rigid in your plans
- Go armed with too many expectations
- Wait until you arrive to book your accommodation.
Wherever you are in the world, have a lovey day ❤