Can I just say… WOW! Not entirely sure where I’ve been hiding my whole life but Cocobella Coconut Water in the Chocolate flavor… WOAH! This is amazing!
I have done some research in regards to the health benefits for coconut water & I am amazed at how healthy this is, I sometimes put this in my shakes that I make as I was told it was ‘healthy’ but never actually did my own research.
What Is Coconut Water?
Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts.
Below are some great health benefits of coconut water.
- Aids in Weight-loss Efforts.
The fat content in coconut water is extremely low, so generous quantities can be consumed without the fear of immediately packing on the pounds. It also suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full because of its rich nature.
- Picture-Perfect Skin.
For those with acne or other blemishes on the surface of the skin, topical application of coconut water can go a great distance as it has the ability to clear up and subsequently tone the skin. It also moisturizes the skin from within if ingested orally and eliminates large amounts of oil. This explains why products such as facial creams, shampoos, conditioners and lotions that contain traces of coconut extract are more effective.
- Facilitates Digestion.
If you constantly encounter difficulty during the digestion process, coconut water may provide a source of relief. Because of its high concentration of fiber, it aids in the prevention of indigestion and reduces the occurrence of acid reflux.
- Boosts Hydration.
The ingredients in coconut water are way more effective at hydrating the human body than those of sports and energy drinks. During rigorous exercise or extended periods of physical activity, the human body loses mineral-rich fluids. However, coconut water serves as an excellent replacement medium with 294 mg of potassium and 5 mg of natural sugar per glass, unlike your favorite sports drink that only contains half of the potassium content and five times the amount of processed sugar. In addition, the sodium count is only 25 mg, which is relatively low compared to the 41 and 20 mg found in sports drinks and energy drinks respectively.
- Reduces Blood Pressure.
In many instances, a disproportionate level of electrolytes can result in high blood pressure. Because coconut water contains an adequate supply of each, it can be used as a balancing mechanism. In some instances, it is recommended that coconut water be consumed at the start of each day to foster the balance of these electrolytes.
- Rich in Nutrients.
Unlike any other beverage on the market, coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body. These include: calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium. Because of its unique composition, coconut water can be enjoyed by individuals with varying medical conditions.
- Potassium is a vital mineral in your body. You need enough of it if you want your brain and nervous system to function properly. Coconut water can help provide some of that much needed potassium. One serving of coconut water will cover about 13% of your daily potassium needs.
- Magnesium is another important component of our diet, yet only 32% of people consume enough magnesium. If your body is running low on magnesium, that could cause low energy levels or even lead to serious health conditions like asthma, diabetes and osteoporosis. A serving of coconut water take care of about 14% of your daily magnesium needs.
- Copper is another essential mineral for your health. Without copper, your organs and your metabolism simply can’t work like a well-oiled machine. One serving of coconut water will provide about 11% of your daily copper requirements.
- Coconut water contains a lot of antioxidants, which help prevent the damage to our bodies caused by free radicals. Free radicals are produced by your own metabolism, so there’s no other way to neutralize the damage, except making sure you consume enough antioxidants in your diet. And coconut water can help you with that.
- Compatible with Human Blood.
Since it is isotonic to human plasma, coconut water can be used in extreme emergencies to quickly rehydrate the human body if administered intravenously. It is not uncommon for the drink to be used in poorer, third-world countries to save human lives.
- It slows down ageing
Fans say coconut water can promote smoother, more youthful-looking skin. They claim it’s a natural source of cytokinins, a group of plant growth hormones that help regulate cell growth, development and ageing. Rich in potassium, antioxidants and lauric acid, cytokinins are said to balance pH levels, strengthen and hydrate connective tissues and even reduce the risk of age-related diseases. Dab it onto skin and you may also reduce acne, cellulite, eczema, stretch marks, wrinkles, age spots and sagging skin. But Hourigan says no scientific studies back any of this up.
- Treats Headaches
Most headaches, even migraines, are triggered by dehydration. In such cases, coconut water can be of great help in supplying electrolytes to the body and boosting hydration. Coconut water is also rich in magnesium. People who suffer from migraines often have low levels of magnesium. Studies also suggest that magnesium can help reduce the frequency of migraine attacks.