What a crazy year 2016 has been – all I can say is, is that this year has been such a learning curve for me, I feel as though I have walked away with a lot more knowledge about myself & those around me as well as knowing that everything happens for a reason & I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for how my path has turned out.
Every year we are given a 365 page book, each page signifies each day of the year – over this period, our lives are ever-changing, expanding & growing. The journey may not be smooth-sailing & you may face obstacles & you may fall down but being strong & getting back up after your fall is what matters the most.
It is during our darkest time that strength defines the battle we fight, our future is never determined by our setbacks but by our reactions & ways that we handle them.
Just remember, you are the author of your own story & you will always continue to be, you’re the one holding your own pen, no one else!
Below are some pointers I’d like to share that 2016 has taught me:
- Social Media Is NOT Important! – The only form of social media I had was Instagram, Instagram was something that I was CONSTANTLY on! Always scrolling, always making sure I was kept up to date w/ everyone I was following. I was spending more time looking & paying attention to everyone elses lives yet I wasn’t paying attention nor looking after my own. I deleted my Instagram account, that was probably the best decision ever! I am no longer worried about what everyone else is doing as well as making sure I am putting ‘perfect’ photos up & seeing who’s liked them etc.
- Karma, Karma, Karma! – Each to their own, but I believe very strongly in this! Always be aware of your actions, the words you say & how you treat others as karma will always come back to bite you.
- It’s Okay To Not Feel Okay – We are all human! It’s that simple! We constantly don’t have to ALWAYS have a smile on our faces, it’s okay to fall down, its okay to feel ‘off’, it’s okay to feel sad, it’s okay to have an off day or an off week. The moral: IT IS OKAY! Feeling this way doesn’t mean anything other than YOU ARE HUMAN! These are the reminding feelings that we are human.
- Be Grateful – Being grateful & sharing gratitude is a lot more powerful than you think, being grateful makes us appreciate the life we have, the life we are given & how we react to certain scenarios. Being thankful will allow you to experience more positive emotions, feel more alive, sleep better, express more compassion and kindness & even have stronger immune systems.
- Always Tell the Truth – Lying about something will eventually come back to bite you. Once you tell a lie, you’ll eventually have to tell ten more to support it & than you’ll be caught in a web of lies. This is my way of thinking in regards to lying, & I am learning this even more this year as I am seeing a few people around me caught in a web of lies. When you lie, the lie burdens you, you live in fear of the person you lying to finding out, it makes you anxious, & you have to carry it every where you go, you must remember the story & remember to not twist anything – even just writing this is exhausting let alone having to live a life like this. It’s easier to be honest & tell the truth always!
- Focus! – Focus is a big thing for me for I tend to do 9247593475 things at the same time & never finish anything. So, I have learnt to focus on one thing at a time & I can complete it in a timely manner.
- You can’t change people! Realizing that I have control over myself & that is it, I cannot control those around me or change to the way those around me think. No matter how much you wish someone will change or be a certain way, they will never change & they are who they are. If the way that this particular person is being is bringing toxic energy to your life than remove them from your life & let go.
- Let Go! – Wow, letting go was a big one for 2016, I most certainly let go of a lot this year! Letting go of things that bring toxic energy to your life, whether it’s family, friends, jobs – whatever the circumstance may be if it is making you unhappy & is draining your energy, let go of it, you are better off without it.
- Delete, Delete, Delete! Delete those out of your life that no longer serve a purpose. Remove those from your life that are no longer serving any purpose within your life, there is no use having these people in your life if they do not make a positive effect upon you.
- Effort – Effort, I learnt that this is a two way street, this cannot be a one way street thing. If you are putting in all the effort into a friendship & getting nothing in return, you may need to re-evaluate the friendship, you don;’t want to always have to bend over backwards for people & receive nothing in return.
- You Are What You Eat… Literally! – This is a big one I learnt this year. you literally are what you eat! When I eat bad food ie junk food, chips, lollies, chocolate, fast food; I feel sluggish, bloated, sad, angry etc. However, when I eat healthy & am aware of what I eat, I feel extremely different both mentally & physically. (I will be doing a food blog in regards to foods that make you anxious etc)
- Read More – There is nothing better than bettering yourself, learning how your brain works, learning how your body works & finding ways to find your ‘zen’. This has been something great for me as I have read SOOOO much this year, buying books & reading has become quite a great hobby that I enjoy.
- Live In The Present – This is something I am most certainly working on, however I think I have progressed with baby steps in this department. I am constantly worrying about whats happening in the next 5 minutes, next hour, next day, next year, the future etc.
- Obstacles, Roadblocks, Setbacks, Mistakes Shouldn’t Paralyze You – We are all human, we all make mistakes, this is normal & we shouldn’t be so hard on ourselves when we do hit a wall. This is something I have most certainly learnt this year, I am not perfect & I will make mistakes & these set backs shouldn’t paralyze my next move.
- This Too Shall Pass – This quote is so powerful – Nothing is permanent & a burnout is only a sign from above to slow down. When you listen to your inner rhythm & tide over the low, life is magical again & the travel is a joy. Everything you experience WILL pass & there is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Keep A Journal – Keeping a journal is probably the best thing! This is my place of peace, this is a place that I can vent, rant, express, share my feelings whether they’d be positive or negative.